Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The ugly side of the emerging church...

A couple weeks ago I posted about how my home church is very draining for me. This is mostly due to theological disagreement and also due to its modern leaning. In reading 'Emerging Churches', I am encountering a negative side of the emerging church that gives me hope. By no means is emerging 'saintly' in their description of the modern church. Actually I am coming to the point where many emerging leaders need to repent of their description of a modern church. Brad Cecil calls that once he was 'enlightened' he could no long go back to a modern church, many in the book refer to the modern church as being dead and meaningless. I don't think that is entirely true across North America. I think there is place for the modern church, not that everything they have done over the last 20-30 years in vain. Many people, twentysomes included, find the modern church a source of hope. The problem is that many do not find hope in a modern expression of church. Due to this lack of hope of church, new churches need to emerge without writing off 'older' churches. I agree with the sentiment that I could not be satisfied in a modern church, but that does not mean it is dead for everyone.

4 comments:

lee said...

Chris,
I really appreciate your thoughts and your openness about life, church, God. Thanks for letting us on the journey with you.
Lee

Joey said...

Good point. It's too easy to put people in black-and-white, clear-cut categories, but in reality they rarely work. You're right of course that traditional churches are a source of inspiration and hope for some people, but I suspect that number continues to decrease. I think the main issue is, regardless of our church affiliations (or even if we have none), that lives are being filled with compassion, forgiveness and love.

Butterfly said...

Chris, I continue to be encouraged and challenged by your perspectives, honest questions, your willingness to research and listen to both sides and the hope that you have for the church.

lee said...

hey Chris,
on a slightly different topic, i discovered where you (possibly) got the name for your blog. i bought Claiborne's book yesterday, read a few chapters, then bought another copy this morning for my parents. wow. the guy is inspiring.
cheers,
Lee