Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I love music

I must say that i have quite an affinity for music. Every since my high school years I have enjoyed music that crossed many genres. Over the past two years I have been exposed to the wonderful world of indie and folk music. I truly enjoy these genres. Recently, I have noticed how this music is becoming the norm in my ipod. Just thought I'd share a few of the artists that I have discovered.

Bright Eyes: Often compared to a young Bob Dylan. Of all the indie artists I have discovered Bright Eyes is by far the best. His best album in my estimation is I'm Awake, its Morning.

Broken Social Scene: Is a great compilation of many different artists. Very unique, but are becoming well known. They won best alternative album at last years Juno. 'You forgot it in the people' is a gem of an album. Very easy listening, good for a long drive.

Stars: Is a indie-pop band that sprung forth from Broken Social Scene. Very melodic and light. They have great songs about life and relationships.

Amy Millan: Is the lead singer from Stars. She has a beautiful voice, a very folky feel.

The Decemberists: This band is very unique much on the line with Broken Social Scene, very mellow. I find this band very 'intellectual'. I find their early work to be Superior to their newer releases, "Her Majesty, The Decemberists" is my favorite CD.

Derek Webb: I first encountered Webb with Caedmon Call, but his solo projects really speak to me. Particularly the problem of nationalism with in western Christianity. Also with being the only Christian artist I really connect with speaks to the significance of his music.

The Mountain Goats: I am not sure what i like about there mellow tone, but in the last couple weeks they are constantly played during my blogging/reading time.

Neko Case: Is a folk goddess. I don't use that word often, but its hard to describe her any other way. Her latest release 'Fox confessor brings the flood' is great through and through.

As well this year I found the music of Snow Patrol and The Frays, but I expect many of you are familiar with those house hold names.

2 comments:

Joey said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm a HUGE Decembrists fan. Can I add a few more to your list?

Death Cab For Cutie - wonderfully melodic. Death Cab is a constant on my iPod. I especially like "Plans" and "Transatlanticism."

The Arcade Fire - this band has a way of getting under your skin and conjuring up a wide range of emotions. "Funeral" is a great album.

Indio Saravanja - a folk singer from Whitehorse, Yukon. His self-titled album is excellent.

Pedro The Lion - used to be the moniker for David Bazan. Not for every taste, but I'm a rabid Bazan fan. I especially like "Control", "Achilles Heel" and "It's Hard to Find a Friend."

Another World is Possible said...

Hey Joey...

Thanks for the heads up. I like Death Cab for Cutie. "plans" is a great CD. I actually say Pedro the Lion at Cornerstone in 2001. Well hope all is well, happy listening