Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Tim Keller and Deconstructing Defeater Beliefs

This week in the Emerging generation class we listened to a lecture by Tim Keller. The lectured was title 'Supremacy of Christ and the Gospel in the Postmodern World' it was a thought provoking. I liked how Keller acknowledges that traditional evangelism and apologetics are utterly useless anymore. I was a bit surprised by this but it was nice to hear an 'older' person state this particularly with having Franklin Graham giving a traditional evangelistic speech. Keller also is a firm believer of process of conversion, which speaks against the traditional evangelism. I also appreciated that Keller acknowledges past abuses of Christians. The latter portion of Keller revolves around that many people will not accept a gospel message for the simple reason of 'implausibility structure.'

The theory that Keller calls propositional apologetics revolves around looking at a persons worldview and deconstructing false notions within their worldview. Keller states in an article "Many books on reaching post-moderns today give the impression that people now need virtually no arguments at all. The 'apologetic' is a loving community.' While I tend to disagree with Keller that this form of apologetics is better than a loving community, but nonetheless intriguing.

Keller did a survey of non-Christians under 25 in NY and concluded that six primary 'defeater beliefs' exist and till these are engaged that any christian message will be ignored.

The six defeater beliefs are:

1. The other religions
2. Evil and suffering
3. The ethical straitjacket
4. The record of Christians
5. The angry God
6. The unreliable Bible

I would say that these are fairly accurate. Some of his answers are quite adequate, some I feel Keller grossly underestimates the situation. One of the huge problems I see is #4. I think in order to move forward to deeper Christianity, which Keller sees as the solution. While I do agree this is the case, but I think the standard communication of the Christians render this point to a problematic step. In my experience particularly among young adults, Christianity is about going to heaven, so to have a deeper Christianity doesn't make sense due to the over emphasis on sinners prayer as the 'finish line' of faith. I actually would say that some of these defeater beliefs, I actually agree with and are part of the reason i struggle with the church.

Either way I found the lecture thought provoking, but I don't know if postmodern apologetics is any better on paper than classical apologetics. However, I sense that seeing this task done in person might convince me more. The other problem of this post-modern apologetics is that often in Christianity people are told that evangelism is one of the central activities of Christians. This method is very intellectual, which if evangelism is an activity we all participate in, if this method is graspable by an entire congregation.

2 comments:

Joey said...

Interesting. I should check out this Keller guy. I'm inclined to think that truth convictions need to be embodied in communities for them to be compelling. It seems that most of those "defeater beliefs" cannot be answered satisfactorily by arguments (not least of which because some of them are self-evidently true!)

Thanks for a great recent blog posts.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I am late to the party. But I think if you checked out Tim Keller in his church context, you will conclude that the "deeper Christianity" he talked about is not the "going to heaven" concept at all. In fact, his vision for the people of his church to transform New York was too practical, it made me uncomfortable.

And you can see how Keller chips away the 6 defeater beliefs in almost every sermon he preachs.