Sunday, January 07, 2007

Korea.....

So I got back from South Korea on Saturday. I sort of had a 'odd' experience. So how shall I say this...I hope I never step foot in that country ever again!

I'm not sure what it was about Seoul and S. Korea, but it rubbed me the wrong way. First off..the pollution in Seoul is disgusting. The worst part is that it effected my mind so i couldn't think straight...or even be outside walking in Seoul for more than 5 hours before my mind would get really foggy. I remember talking with Trisha in her apartment and I had a hard time even putting sentences together..without hurting.

Secondly, I was surprised at the materialism. It makes the US and Canada look like poor countries with there emphasis on having the name brand stuff. I know we have that in N. America, but not to the degree as the Koreans have it.

Thirdly, I feel bad for women in Korea. I got this overwhelming sense that women's top priority is getting married. A lot of the women I meet were obsessed with this fact. Also the way people talked about marriage is that the men choose the women. I was often congratulated on my 'choice' of Trisha. Since, Trisha had no say in the matter it was my mere choosing of her. That really rubbed me badly.

Well those are just a few of the things I didn't like about the Korean culture. All in all I am glad I don't have to live there. I think I'd kill myself. Canada Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Butterfly said...

Hmmm, maybe it's a good thing I'm coming back to Canada, eh? :)
Thanks for making the effort to be civil while you were here. I appreciated it. I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on your experience in Korea after you've had a few weeks to get over your culture shock....and appreciating Canada more is a good thing I think:)

/rach said...

Wow, Chris, that seems a bit rash. There are a lot of things about the culture which you have not considered. First off...do you think lack of sleep/jet lag played in to you perception of life? It takes a long time to get over such a dramatic time difference.

"I think I'd kill myself."

C'mon now. Life is going to throw you more than unfair perceptions of/by women, and materialism. You're going to need to get flexible.

It hurts me when someone disregards a culture I have chosen to love. But some people haven't been given the choice. They are Koreans. How would you feel if someone wrote stuff like that about Canada, and made sweeping generalizations about Canadian women-- your friends and family members?

Did you notice in Korea that you got to spend time with the love of your life in a country which she has chosen to spend a significant amount of time....

...and didn't you get engaged?

/rach said...

Maybe my past comments were a bit harsh; for that, I'm sorry. Hopefullly you see where I'm coming from, though.

I'd love to see you and Trish together again, maybe we can go for coffee or something. I'd like to hear about your engagement and your plans so far.

I care about you and Patricia deeply. I care about your marriage- which is why I'd like to get to know you better.

FYI, I'd like to invite you to my smoothie party on the 24th, though you may be busy already. Trish knows the details.

-Rachell