Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A day with Miroslav Volf.....

So over the past two days I have been catching up on listening to some pod casts. So I am in the stages of listen to the Emergent Theological conversation from this past February ( I know that I am almost a year behind, sorry). But, I have found these discussions to be helpful. This past year, probably the most difficult, thought provoking, mind changing book I read was Exclusion & Embrace by Miroslav Volf. Well he is the speaker at last years theological conversation. I am finding these conversation to be beyond helpful in working through his ideas of exclusion and embrace. I think this is one of the most important books that encompass a lot of the struggles of community in our world.

I am constantly amazed at his honesty, insights, respectfulness of other religions. I am almost giddy as i listen and inhale all the wisdom Volf and the others at these discussions give. What is particularly interesting is a discussion on homosexuality as how that fits within the idea of excluding people from the church. Jesus is often seen as including everyone into the body, but this seems to exclude homosexuals. If the church is inclusive this seems odd. I think the church has falsely adopted a purify yourself first attitude to those who do not fit within their moral understandings of what is required of the church. I find this is flawed and rooted in making us 'accept' Jesus to be saved. I find it interesting if salvation is a free gift of grace from God to humans, why does the church require people to do something? Is this not reverting back to a work based system pre- Martin Luther. Does the protestant church really want to reject the most fundamental reason for their formation. I imagine Luther rolls over in his grave every time the sinners prayer is said at a summer camp.

Has anyone listen to these podcast? if so please feel free to tell me your thoughts on them or anything on miroslav volf...

3 comments:

lee said...

Chris,
you talk of a "purify yourself first attitude." i want to share my testimony in two sentences or less...
God kept pursuing me, i turned, now I live differently. in sum, my attitude was changed before my behaviour was.
so, i agree with what you said. how can we say to people outside of Christ's body that they need to be "fixed" or "healthy" or whatever, before we love them? i was loved when i didn't deserve it. i still don't, yet i still am loved by God and by others. hmmm... causes me to think about life and love...

Joey said...

Good thoughts, especially as it pertains to the whole homosexuality debate in the church. It's too bad that certain churches believe that in order to disagree with something, a large segment of people have to be excluded from the church. It's tragic really.

I would agree with Brennan Manning that homophobia is as great a sin in the church today as racism was a generation or two ago (and racism hasn't gone away either!).

Another World is Possible said...

Hey Boys...

The dialogue on homosexuality with Volf and various emergent church leaders is brillant and insightful. Lee...you should check it out if you are still working through that topic...

Chris