Thursday, January 11, 2007

A further thought on redemptive stories....

As I've been working through the idea of being involved in redemptive stories, i find that these stories are hard to hear. I think that is because they sound similar to the kingdom of God. A kingdom that for the most part is foreign to our world. So when we hear these stories we do not recognize them for what they are: Redemptive stories. Sort of till we tune our ears to this different world we will not hear God in these stories.

I wonder if we are not all or have the opportunity to be involved in redemptive stories. I think we all have the opportunity to be involved in the kingdom of God on earth. Often when i listen to Rob Bell, i feel that Mars Hill Bible Church is focused on being involved in redemptive stories in their community. It is truly beautiful the vision of this church.

Just a further explanation of redemptive stories...

5 comments:

lee said...

Rob is someone I listen to regularly. I really appreciate the sermons from Mars Hill. They once talked about how they approach Scripture with "narrative theology" in mind. Do you know of any texts or books that use that approach to Scripture? I found Rob's "Velvet Elvis" to be provoking and intriguing. I hope to read it again soon. And he also has a new book out, right? Or soon, I think.
Peace, Lee.

Joey said...

Chris - Good thoughts. I'm glad that postmodernism has recovered the emphasis on stories. It's so central to our faith.

Lee - I don't think Rob Bell has a new book out yet, but I heard he's working on a new one.

Another World is Possible said...

hey boys....

the Rob Bell book is called 'Sex God'(due out on Feb. 15..i am drooling already)...it plays on this theme that everything is spiritual..including sex....

Chris

lee said...

after the insane "everything is spiritual" tour, they offered the message for one more night to make a dvd on it. i wouldn't mind seeing that. and yeah, wow, i look forward to the book.

lee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.