Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Who is Peter Rollins?

Well as those close to me know I am a pretty big Brian McLaren fan. However, McLaren has gotten so popular that he gives recommendations/forewords to many books. This has made it hard to distinguish between the good and ordinary books. A little while back my good friend Joey(http://www.joeyroyal.blogspot.com)mentioned that many in the Emergent friendship were raving about 'How (Not) to speak of God' by Peter Rollins. So i figured I'd check it out. In reading the foreword by McLaren, I am amazed at the praise McLaren gives. McLaren states, "I would say this is one of the two or three most rewarding books of theology I have read in ten years." So needless to say McLaren is becoming a huge fan of Rollins. McLaren takes it further "Peter's effective and creative use of parables comes as an added surprise, evoking the practice of a communicator who, many of us believe, spike of god as no other person ever has, to such a degree that he himself was named the Word made flesh." So, Rollins tells stories like Jesus. That is a bit hard to take. But, after reading Rollins introduction I am very excited to see what I am in store.

Here are some of the gems from the introduction.

"they balked at the presumption of those who would seek to colonize the name 'God' with concepts."

"they(Christian mystics) wrote elegantly concerning the limits of writing and spoke eloquently about the brutality of words."

"the Word of God has mystery built into its very heart."

"Against the idea that we can speak of God I argue that we must embrace an a/theological approach that acknowledges the extent to which our supposed God-talk fails to define who or what God is."

Well that is just a taste...happy reading.

1 comment:

Joey said...

Great entry - I'm pretty pumped about reading Rollins book. I'll have to order sometime in the near future. I just got Spencer Burke's "A Heretic's Guide to Eternity" in the mail the other day and am really excited about it.