Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Books and Music

Well my summer was really busy, which didn't allow for a lot of reading time. I hope to change this in the fall, these are some of the books I am working through at the Culleton-Koebel household.

Books:

Mission Al Jazeera by Josh Rushing - Follows Josh Rushing an ex-Marine turned Al Jazeera reporter. I am not one to find war books/movies as intriguing or interesting for that matter. However, Rushing does a good job showing how truth is subverted to support various political agendas. Rushing got his '15 minutes of fame' as he was unknowingly the star of Control Room, a documentary on the war in Iraq - I am hoping to watch Control Room in the next week.

The Last Word by N.T. Wright - In the last year Wright has become someone who I've turned to more in what it means to say the Bible is authoritative. I hope this book give insights in how a christian is to take the Bible as being authoritative with all we know about how the Bible's authors.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet by Salman Rushdie - Early this summer I read my first Rushdie book, I was blown away by the beauty of his storytelling. I hope that my second run is equally fulfilling. So far the words spring off the page and paint a mosaic of experiences and worldviews. I must say I have never read anyone who writes with the beauty of Rushdie.

1 comment:

Joey said...

I really should read some Rushdie. Thanks for reminding me.