Tuesday, September 11, 2007

9/11

Well I guess its that time of year again. I imagine it will sound trite whatever I say about 9/11, but every year it seems this day sticks out. I think the more I think about it all I can say is that I pray for those who've lost love ones through this tragic event. I include all those in my prayers: Americans, Iraqis, and all those other countries that have been attacked under the 'war on terrorism'. I think my only solace in thinking about the vast amount of tragedies in the world is a prayer for peace. Not praying to understand how God 'uses' tragedy to bring about redemption, because a God that uses violence is not a God I care to know.

All I can do is pray that those hurt turn to peace, not vengeance. I listen to Road to Peace by Tom Waits and prayer for peace. Peace for those suffering that they have people who will sit Shiva with them and not try to explain away the reason this and that happened. Mostly, because any answer fails to help and only creates perverse understanding of the way God works.

I watched a video a couple months ago sent to me by a friend posted on Juan Cole's Blog about an Iraqis response to the Americans bombing Iraq and her response hit me. She basically asked for God to repay these evil deeds. Maybe God responds this way, much like the Old Testament describes them(if that is the case I'm not sure how Jesus fits in with this God). It struck me that the Iraqis response is similar to many Americans response to being attack that God would seek revenge for their loss. Just wondering if there is a difference between and American/Iraqis plea....

1 comment:

Ivan said...

Check this out. It's beautiful.

http://www.liel.net/Liel-ClintonVideo2.wmv