Monday, August 06, 2007

The two lenses of life.....

Well I got the latest issue of Geez (http://www.geezmagazine.org/). I always appreciate the perspectives that they present. As I was scanning the pages one image stood out immediately, a pair of glasses - each lenses with a list of views that dominate our world. I think the idea of consumerism is so prevalent in our society. I feel at I do an adequate job at fighting the urges and messages that the Powers That Be give. However, I wonder how much my success has to do with my debt that looms large over my head. Well here are the two lenses

Lens 1: 1. I need more stuff. 2. I will earn enough to fulfill every whim and avoid all things unpleasant. 3. I am defined by my stuff and my solid position. 4. I am an island. 5. The world is mine to use as I please. 6. It's all about what I want, I will only give if I get back. 7. I will do whatever it takes, no matter the cost. 8. Media is my tool to create want and make money. 9. Me and my country --we'll toss you some scraps. 10. It's not my problem. 11. What I want, when I want and where I want.

Lens 2: 1. I am content. 2. I will use only what I need and enjoy growth in community. 3. I am what I live. 4. i am part of the greater whole. 5. The world is a gift to be to be treated with care and shared. 6. I will only take what I need and give as much as I can. 7. I will work together with others to achieve a unified goal. 8. Media, is a way to share information and ideas. 9. My country and your are part of the same small earth. 10. What can I do to help? 11. I am connected and function in community.

No comments: