Monday, August 06, 2007

St. Norbert Farmers' Market...

Well on Saturday, Trisha and I got up early to check out a farmers' market just south of Winnipeg. Our trip was truly enjoyable as we were meet with many yummy veggies, breads, meats and other products. I am pretty sure the farmers' market will become a staple in our household during our stay in Winnipeg. Part of the reason we wanted to check out the market is due to an article that appeared in the Christian Week in May describing a 100 Mile Diet that they were organizing to begin in September. The idea is that you only eat foods that are produced within a 100 miles of Winnipeg. As I read the article something seemed 'right' about the idea of eating what is locally produced.

In the past couple years a couple of close friends have gone through quiet an ordeal in regards to health issues. I believe this is due to what goes into the fruits and veggies that we consume from the supermarket. As I thought more about this issues I think it is a justice issues to buy and support local business. I am looking forward to time at the market most Saturday mornings till Thanksgiving. My prize find from Saturday is a Cranberry Hemp Cinnamon Buns...so good..yummy

5 comments:

Joey said...

Great talking with you on the phone today. Let me know how your 100-mile diet is going. What a great idea!

The Jonovision said...

100 Mile Diet eh? Sound like I great idea!

Unknown said...

I wonder how you will fare with out coffee.. If this is the same diet I heard about you can not eat or drink things that are not grown within 100 miles. How do you plan to do it? Are you eliminating things like margarine, butter, ice cream, tea, coffee.. etc that are not grown locally?

Good luck though, I do think it is good to support our local farmers.

Unknown said...

or made locally.. sorry I was not typing clearly.

Anonymous said...

В жопу непьяный студент… Отелло промахнулся! Слышен денег громкий звук – это лох пошел на нерест! СУДЬБУ, КАК ЖЕНЩИНУ, СЛЕДУЕТ УДИВИТЬ ХОРОШИМ КОНЦОМ И ВНЕЗАПНЫМ ПОВОРОТОМ. Сколь страна не обманывай, своего все равно не вернешь. [url=http://tutledy.ru/o-muzhskom-tele/72-norma-vesa-dlya-muzhchiny.html]норма веса для мужчины[/url]