Sunday, August 20, 2006

Pro - Israel....

Recently I was at a church and the pastor talked about Israel, in a sense that it is almost beyond account. That since Israel is God's chosen people that there action are beyond accountability. I struggle with this idea. Especially when you read all the evil that Israel commits, and as a Christian I am to give blind allegiance. The pastor gave his view of Israel that anytime we speak of Israel we need to understand that God is always on there side in their vicious attacks. In this latest war with Lebanon, I saw a state that showed the deaths total had a 7:1 ratio. Israel has killed 7 times as many as their counterparts, and this over two soldiers. It almost seems like Israel actions is justification of wrath, that I doubt if it is God's will. The pastor went on to say that anyone who has ever supported Israel has been critiqued, which is because everyone in the world is against Israel due to being God's chosen people. I wonder if modern day Israel has really any connection with the Israel in the Bible. Modern day Israel seems to be a military state. I wonder if the reason people who join Israel get critiqued is because Israel' action are unjust? I also wonder if Jesus changed everything. What role does Israel play for the modern day church. I read this book Paul among the Postliberals, the author proposes I think that Israel is off limits, they can do no wrong. I was a bit confused by this whether Jesus did not change Israel' status in the Christian story? If anyone has any ideas about this please let me know...Any help would be greatly appreciated....

1 comment:

Joey said...

Chris,

Check out "Israel and the Politics of Land" by W. Eugene March. It addresses some of these questions head-on.