Wednesday, June 27, 2007

4 year, $25,000 in debt and now what.....

Well, recently I graduated from Providence College with a 4-year BA in Youth Leadership. I must say I am glad to be done and feel my time at Providence was a time of immense growth personally. I can't speak well enough about my time at Providence. I had a both good and bad times that formed the person I am today.

The odd thing is that I don't know how the education I received will be used for a job. I don't know if I will ever be in full-time ministry. I do have a passion for ministry, but not sure if I have the characteristics churches require from a pastor. As well, with Providence being 'a liberal arts college in the evangelical tradition' as one of my profs told us puts me in an odd position. Not really identifying myself with conservative evangelical churches, which I grew up in.

After my second year at Providence, I had a crisis of sorts. After being in student leadership, during the summer I basically decided ministry was not for me and felt that my passions more aligned itself with social work. However, after reading a Brian McLaren book, I felt that ministry was my passion and church work was the only way to fulfil my passions in life.

While I still believe going back to Providence and doing an internship was the best for me, as I looked for jobs, the jobs with more a social work slant appealed to me. Sortof funny, since I almost transferred to a social work program in Winnipeg. Not sure where my life is leading me. I guess I have am torn, because I still enjoy ministry. During my last Sunday school time at church, I had a bitter-sweet experience, almost wishing that I could continue ministering in this kind of capacity and thinking this is exactly what I 'd like to be doing, but the other side knowing that the conservative evangelical community is not my home.

So I have a degree and knowledge, wisdom, and a passion for being a spiritual mentor and guide for adolescent, but do not feel I at home with the traditional church setting. So I am taking this year off from being in ministry directly, waiting on God's guidance.......

No comments: