Saturday, November 25, 2006

Do yourself a favor....

Hey fellow winnipegers....

So this week I had a great opportunity to go to the Winnipeg Art Gallery. I must admit this is my first time attending, which is a sad statement considering I have been living in Winnipeg for the last 10 plus years. Well this week i went to the see "Rodin: A magnificent Obsession." I must I was taken back by Rodin. Some of his sculptures are quiet haunting. I have long found that a face can express things without saying a word.

I just found the whole experience ..fulfilling. I am a believer that God is present in beauty. It is my duty as a believer in God to experience art. There are a couple 'faces' at the exhibit that are rooted in the human experience. You see Rodin..sculpted a couple french men that made a deal with the British that if they would come and rescue their village...in return they would basically be in service to the British. The expression on their faces ...gave me a sensation that i could experience everything they were...the stubborn, pride, anguish. Some of these faces still are in my mind..thinking on things we do for the betterment of humanity.

Well that is just a glimpse of the many works of Rodin...i guess i am writing this...so if any of you winnipeggers need something to fill your time..spend 10 bucks and check it out...it is definitely worth your time and money.

2 comments:

Joey said...

"I am a believer that God is present in beauty. It is my duty as a believer to experience God in art."

Well said.

Another World is Possible said...

Hey Rachelle...

Thanks for posting...I think all people are valuable beautiful..maybe that is how...i guess obviously the gallery wouldn't allow us to bring those under privileged people in...or maybe us as privileged need to show them beautiy in everyday stuff...or maybe the best we can do in this soceity is show them that they are worthy beyond measures..i believe all people being born in the image of God are beautiful and have amazing things to say...

A while back i volunteered at a transition house for HIV/AIDS in winnipeg..and it was clear that these people while being on the 'fringes' of soceity still were beautiful and valuable to God. That is one of the primary reasons i started volunteering there...

Chris